(Adapted from The Home Cook Book and Food52′s Prune Coffee Cake)
3/4 cup dried cranberries
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold coffee
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup milk
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Soak dried cranberries in hot water 20 minutes. Meanwhile, butter and flour a 10-inch circular cake or springform pan. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg, coffee, and molasses. Stir until mixture is smooth with no lumps (it will be very wet).
4. Add dry ingredients and milk alternatingly to butter mixture, stirring until combined. Drain cranberries and fold into batter.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve warm.